Monday, April 04, 2005

food memory

A long time ago, when I was maybe 10 or 12, my mom used to buy these crunchy pasta snacks that were coated in some sort of garlicky parmesan powder. She bought them at the health food store in Whitehorse, but I'm pretty sure they were in no way actually good for you. Does anyone know what these were called, and where one can buy them or how one can make them? I have no idea if they were baked or fried (I suspect the latter) nor exactly what the tasty coating was.

Anyway, I kind of want some. Usually the desire for these unnamed snacks hits once a year about this time, because the cottonwoods are just coming into leaf, and the smell reminds me of trips to Haines, which reminds me of those snacks. And Anzac bars, which are also good, but which I don't actually want right now and for which recipes are readily available.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time I was at Lifestyles, they had a table with some pasta-like snacks... they sound similar to what you described, and I think they might have been called scabasta or scabatini. Check it out the next time you're there.

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home