Monday, March 14, 2005

product review: PC Blue Chicken Tikka Masala

Lunch today came out of a box (via the microwave) for the first time in a long time. This is my first try of the President's Choice "Blue" line of stuff, which has impressed me for its lack of trans-fats and lower sodium content. However, the latter is a bit of a problem.

Overall: 3/5

The chicken actually tasted and felt like chicken, and wasn't nasty and dry. The curry sauce could have been improved with a touch of sweetness, but that might be just my taste. Good level of spiciness and overall, good taste. The rice, though - not so good. First, if they're trying to increase the fibre content in these things why not use brown rice? It tastes better, and holds up better to the complete absence of salt in its preparation, which is obviously what happened here. However, if you're used to unsalted rice, you'll probably like this. I don't think it would have added too much extra sodium just to put a wee bit of salt (and therefore flavour) in the rice. Oh well. Once I mixed it up with the sauce (which had a very good salt level, not too much like normal frozen entrees) it was edible.

Was it better than curry I make myself? No, decidedly not. Was it worth the $2.50? Sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home