Tuesday, March 29, 2005

chinese sticky rice

This is a Chow family favourite, usually served at major holiday feasts, like Christmas and Easter. Last year Stirling's grandmother showed me how to do it so this year I decided to make some for Easter Sunday dinner. It seemed pretty easy, although I did use a slightly wrong type of rice and forgot one ingredient. Fortunately, Nanny came to dinner and brought a batch of sticky rice she made up, so I could taste the difference and get it right next time! (Mine wasn't bad though!)

Here, for posterity, is the definitive recipe:

3 cups cooked Chinese sweet (glutinous) rice, mixed with 1/2 cup regular long-grain rice.
1 small onion
2 chinese sausages
5 or so dried chinese mushrooms (shiitake-esque)
1/8 cup or so dried shrimp
couple tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup or so oyster sauce (check label to make sure it contains actual oyster extract)

Rehydrade the shrimp and the mushrooms beforehand.

Finely dice onion, sausage, mushrooms and shrimp and stir-fry til everything is all nice and cooked and the onion is slightly coloured. Dump it in the cooked rice, add the oyster sauce and stir to combine. Add more oyster sauce if necessary.

Yum!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you, thank you and thank you again for this recipe. Do you have to use the little stinky shrimps? I don't think I can get them here, plus they are stinky and I don't like them. Are they essential to the recipe, or can I substitute with something else?

4:08 PM  
Blogger spughy said...

I actually forgot the stinky shrimps when I made it and it was fine. Go ahead, ignore the stinky shrimps. Or use fresh shrimp, just chop them up lots.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no, no! You must use the stinky little shrimp; I missed them in Sarah's version. If you're having trouble finding them in Whitehorse, try the local aquarium shop --- dehydrated krill are often stocked as fish food, and as a bonus, they come pre-packaged in shakeable containers.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know, dried shrimp keep pretty much forever, and I imagine that they ship well. I loves 'em, especially in shrimp-and-veggie stir-fry dishes.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home