Thursday, January 13, 2011

Finally, a use for Jerusalem artichokes

Several times over the past few years I've purchased (or dug up) Jerusalem artichokes and attempted to make something edible with them. I've roasted them, tried them raw, and put them in stews, but the end result was always...meh.

Tonight, after finding more than half of the last impulse-purchased bag in the veggie drawer, I figured I'd give them another go in hopes they would make an adequate addition to a blended veggie soup. And whaddya know, they actually did.

I have no real recipe for this soup because it was sort of a make-it-up-as-I-go thing. But here's what I did. I peeled some jerusalem artichokes and cut them up a bit, diced one slice of bacon, some celery, a couple mushrooms and carrots, and threw a small baggie of dried torpedo onions in with some olive oil and cooked it until it all started to brown. I deglazed with a splash of brandy and then added some good chicken stock. I simmered it for half an hour or so until the jerusalem artichokes were soft, then threw it in the blender. Then I gave some chopped leftover chicken and some more bits of mushroom a quick fry in some chicken fat and threw the blended soup over it, stirred it a bit, and yum.

It's really good soup. And jerusalem artichokes may now visit my fridge more frequently.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

That sounds like a good way to eat artichokes. I've been wanting to eat more artichokes, but due to its price and the lack of knowledge on how to cook them properly,they rarely appear in my kitchen. Thanks for the soup recipe, I am going to give it a try.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home