Monday, August 17, 2009

Lemon Pickled Onions

Once again, Sarah is failing to entertain me with blog posts - it's like she's busy or something. Once again, I will pick up the slack with a tasty and simple recipe. A condiment this time - lemon pickled onions. I think I saw Jamie Oliver do this on TV, and now I make it frequently and put it on just about everything - salad, burgers, salad, in soup, salad, sandwich or I just eat them out of the dish.

Directions:
Thinly slice some red onion (you can use yellow onion, but it really isn't as good). The thinner you can get it, the better. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Cover with fresh squeezed lemon juice, none of that stuff in a bottle. You can also use lime juice for a slightly different flavour. Leave for at least 10 minutes (the thinner it is sliced, the quicker it pickles) and then use or cover and put in the fridge, liquid and all. It keeps for at least a week, but I usually finish it off pretty quickly so I don't know how long it will go for. You can use the juice in salad dressing, or anything that needs some acidity. This recipe has proved to be quite popular with friends and family. Give it a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home