Friday, March 13, 2009

I almost feel guilty about living here

I know most of the rest of Canada - and much of the US - is still buried under a pile of snow, so I almost feel bad posting this, but I expect I'll get over it.

March has hit and the local hothouses are starting to pump out deliciousness. Compared to 3 or 4 weeks ago when I was gleeful to get carrots, parsnip, kale and the odd rutabaga, today I bought all this:

What you see there is savoy cabbage, lettuce, chard, spinach, carrots, eggs, tomatoes (cherry & slicing) cucumbers, basil, kale, salad greens, green beans, beets, parsnips, kale, eggs and candied hazelnuts. (not in picture: boring packages of meat) This is food for 2 families, so divide it in half and that's about the amount of veggies we eat in a week.

I would be surprised if any of that was picked more than 24 hours ago. It's all beautiful, and what the hothouse stuff lacks in nutrition, it makes up in tender delicate deliciousness.

Oh, and those tomatoes? YUM.

(BTW, the reason I am posting pictures of my groceries is that certain people have complained that there are not enough pictures on my blog. I don't know what's more exciting, reading about groceries or seeing pictures. Either way, readers/viewers are advised to limit the amount of time they spend on this blog so they don't overdose on adrenaline or anything.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Aw shut-up. THhhhbt

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home