Wednesday, February 09, 2005

fitness incentives

The fitness challenge at work is up and running now. Time will tell how it turns out - so far the response has been mostly good, and apparently the introductory e-mail prevented one of my coworkers from having a can of coke yesterday, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a success :-)

Also, apparently Gordon Campbell & co. are getting in on the action and announced a fitness/health program of some sort in the Throne Speech yesterday. I have no idea what actual programs are going to be put in place. In theory I support any initiative like this, but it remains to be seen how completely lame it is. Personally, I think that companies should be given tax breaks for instituting programs that get their employees healthier. I doubt that there's much a government can do - what kind of individual tax breaks could you give someone - a "healthy weight" tax benefit? Deduct your fitness club fees? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone know what the throne speech actually said on this?

3 Comments:

Blogger spughy said...

I read it. It's remarkably lacking in implementation details, but I think that's typical of throne speeches.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Haven't I seen coke in your fridge on a regular basis?

I wonder if BC or any government could ever come up with a decent health and fitness campaign. Hal and Joanne just irritate me.

Happy New Year!

12:31 PM  
Blogger spughy said...

Coke has, in the past, lived in our fridge, for the purposes of entertaining friends. Stirling used to drink it, but he doesn't anymore, at least within my sight. And since a couple of our friends have kicked the coke habit, there's no longer any need to provide it for them on social occasions, so no more coke in our fridge, ever.

And, for the record, high-fructose corn syrup (ie, the sweetener in most pop) is second only to trans-fats on my list of food evils of our time.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home