Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How to Cook Cabbage

I cannot for the life of me understand why cabbage is not everyone's favourite thing to eat. Or at least favourite vegetable. I have been led to believe that it is because everyone is cooking it wrong, so here is how to cook a cabbage:

1) Take off outer leaves that look kind of yucky.
2) Remove core bit.
3) Get out a nice big frying pan, with a lid.
4) Chop cabbage into 1"x1" pieces, approximately.
5) Put cabbage in frying pan with approximately 2/3 cup of water and two generous pats of butter. And I mean generous! Like a tbsp each. Or more. This is no time to be stingy on the butter.
6) Turn heat on stove element under frying pan to med-high. (Like on a stove that goes 2-9, put it on 7.)
7) Put the lid on.
8) The water should start boiling fairly quickly - boil with the lid on for about 2-3 minutes, no longer. The cabbage should be a lovely bright green.
9) Remove the lid, keep the heat up. The water will boil off quickly, then you need to stir to prevent sticking and burning. When the bottom of the pan starts to show some browning, TURN THE HEAT OFF!
10) Sprinkle a pinch or two of salt over the cabbage and continue stirring until the sizzling stops.

Serve immediately. The cabbage should be sweet and delicious with a faintly caramel-y flavour. If it doesn't taste good, it means you're buying crappy cabbage and you need to find a new source. I highly recommend the Madrona Farm cabbage, of course, but any freshly picked local cabbage should be fine. If you are buying cabbage from California you deserve what you get.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Reason why cabbage is not everyone's favourite thing to eat: mangosteens

Reason why cabbage is not everyone's favourite vegetable: every other vegetable except turnips and kohlrabi

Okay, okay, I do like cabbage (particularly fried in butter as you suggest or in Mum's coleslaw), but it ain't my favourite.

7:39 PM  
Blogger spughy said...

Sometimes I have a hard time believing we grew up in the same home. You don't like turnips and kohlrabi????? Is that because I used to eat them all before you got any and you just decided it was easier not to like them? I LOVE turnip sticks! In fact I am going to eat some now! Yummmmy!!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I like to think it's because I have sophisticated tastes; none of that peasant food for me. Here it's all about lobster rondelles on beds of mizuna and pea shoots, with citrus foam and lotus root chips. *brace for verbal assault...*

And raw turnips (preferable white, with yellow a distant second) are acceptable snack food. Kohlrabi is just nasty and always has been.

11:26 AM  
Blogger spughy said...

LOL. Peasant food. Pfft.

I'm all for lobster rondelles (well, except for the non-local aspect) but a FOAM??? urrgghhh... foams have to be the worst culinary fad EVER. Hate 'em. Just use a frickin' cream sauce, ya pansy.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I didn't grow up eating cabbage but now that I've tried it I like it in soups -- I'm going to have to try it fried this way.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

OK I'll bite. We'll try cabbage done this way sometime next week (have already done all grocery shopping until the 15th, and by that I mean spent all grocery budget).

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home