Wednesday, November 05, 2008

giggle giggle snicker

Hee. Look what I grew!!!!


We all got a good giggle out of this, and it was spared the saucepan fate of its neighbours. This is one of my balcony carrots, most of which are large, delicious, perfectly formed Scarlet Nantes. The balcony carrot pot was one of my more successful gardening experiments this year.

Also, I am plowing through my excess of red peppers... most of them are delicious and sweet, and I will definitely grow the Corno del Toro ones again, but I am still perplexed by some of my supposedly sweet peppers turning out frighteningly hot. WTH???

2 Comments:

Blogger Bekki said...

LOL!!! I've yet to garden much, but I remember hearing that hot peppers are closely-related enough to sweet peppers that they can cross-polinate. So if someone nearby (as a bee flies) has a hot pepper plant, that could be why you were surprised with sneaky terrorist peppers. That would be quite a shock.

4:59 AM  
Blogger spughy said...

OK... that would make sense. That person nearby with the hot peppers would be (ahem) me. I did not know that about the cross-pollination and stuck all my peppers - hot and not - in the same place. In the same bucket, in several instances.

And you know, that thought crossed my mind - but since the exterior of the pepper is essentially the fruit, I would have thought that the genes of the *plant* would control its expression while the genes of the pollinator would control the seeds??? Obviously I have much to learn about genetics.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home