Sunday, October 28, 2007

a public pronouncement of sorts

Well, I think I've finally had enough of being a piggy little chunky monkey so I'm going to drop my "PPD" weight. And I'm going to try to do it without any program or diet or whatever. Actually no, I've invented a new diet I call the Michael Pollan diet, after his succinct summation of most of the nutritional research from the past 100 years: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

So, that's what I'm going to do, focusing mainly on the "not too much" part. Really, it's all about portion control and eating nutritionally dense foods. Strictly speaking I don't think nutritionally dense foods are necessary for losing weight, but I think they help in that you don't get so many cravings for foods if your nutritional needs are being met, and I think they help you stay healthy while you're losing weight. I'm also going to avoid refined carbs since that also makes for fewer cravings and better energy.

I figure this will take a while, maybe until next summer, since I just don't have the exercise opportunities I used to (no job to cycle to for one thing). I have about 40 - 45 lbs to lose. (Or, more accurately, I need to drop my body fat down about 15%.)

Now, for the first week or two I am going to go pretty hard-core, mostly just to shrink my tummy. I don't care what scientists say, tummies totally get used to a certain volume of food and mine is definitely currently expecting too much. So, teensy meals for the next, say, two weeks, then I'll just eat off a salad plate for the forseeable future.

The point to this post is to keep me honest. Please feel free to regularly ask me about the whole eating less thing. Ask me how much weight I've lost or whatever. I promise I will find it helpful, not offensive.

Now I'm going to go finish my jelly beans. This deal starts tomorrow. Just because, Monday, y'know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home