Monday, October 01, 2007

Lobster mushrooms!

This morning Rowan and I trekked out to my super-secret mushroom spot and found some lovely lobster musooms. These are crazy even for fungus - they're orange, gnarled and chunky (rather like lobster claws) and they smell kind of fishy. But they clean up real nice and when sautéed in butter and then finished with a sherry cream sauce, they're extremely tasty.


To cook, simply clean and slice (ok there's no 'simply' about it, these things are hell to clean) then sauté with butter, thyme and shallots until they've released some liquid and are starting to suck it up again. Add some sherry, and cook until it's nearly gone, then add salt and finish with cream.


Here's what they look like:


Fortunately they're wacky enough there's no way to misidentify them. Rowan liked the gathering part, but she wasn't so keen on eating them. And frankly they were a little rich for me. I need to find a new way to prepare them. Ideas? Anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I love mushrooming. I haven't come across any lobster mushrooms, but I did manage to find some king boletes, chantrelles and oysters this year.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home