Monday, January 17, 2005

the rant that wasn't

Lately there's been a lot in the news about the book "French Women Don't Get Fat", and generally I wholeheartedly approve of the French approach to eating, and I was all for that book (not "all for" in the sense that I was going to go out and plunk down more than $20 for it, but "all for" in the sense that I wouldn't think badly of anyone else who actually did. Maybe "all for" in the sense that I would then *borrow* that poor sucker's copy, though) and I was glad it made it onto the bestseller list, and I was hoping hoping hoping that at least some people would read it and be influenced and reform their convenience-based crappy diets. And start to appreciate real food. Anyway, this overall sense of being generally pleased that the book existed abruptly vanished this morning when I had a horrible thought that French women, in addition to being thinnish also smoke like chimneys, and that might just have something to do with it. Fortunately, I was wrong.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to start posting a recipe for whatever I had for dinner last night, plus the time it took me to make it. Hopefully I can then point anyone who whines that healthy food takes too long to cook and/or tastes yucky at a pre-existing collection of recipes that are fast, healthy, and pass my standards for tasty. And I should mention that I work as long hours as anyone, AND I go to the gym after work several times a week, AND I do pretty much all the cooking. So I don't want to hear anyone saying they can't actually cook dinner because they're too tired. Dinner just does not take that long, people. Deal. (If I can't rant about French smokers, I'll rant about my friends'/coworkers' eating habits. Yay!)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog! Too bad I have to be a blogger member to have a user name for comments. I used to be a member. Don't remember my username OR password though.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that the reason I don't cook real healthy meals has nothing to do with lack of time. It's sheer laziness. Well, that and I sincerely believe that my husband should have to cook for me. He keeps saying he wants to be a kept man, and I say he should start acting kept if he wants to be kept. You know what they say about dressing for the job you want. Well, he should dress naked and concoct wonderful meals. :D

--Sue

4:08 PM  
Blogger spughy said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Sue. Not only does your darling husband cook very well, he's actually kinda TRAINED in that direction. He should totally be cooking for you. Naked... that's up to you. And maybe him.

One thing that works pretty well chez us, though, is if I'm not going to be home until late-ish, my dear husband does prep work, chopping veg & putting rice on and things. That way, it's not a ton of work for either of us. But I do have to give Stirling tons of credit for doing most of the cleanup during the week :-)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home