Friday, February 16, 2007

Time to resurrect the BLOG!!!!

Well, sorry I took such a long hiatus from the blog. I was taking a hiatus from a real interest in food. I was eating too much of it, but not that interested in it. If that makes any sense. Anyhow, I have been doing some reading and getting back my interest in nutrition and whatnot, and I have discovered (rediscovered) a bunch of stuff, which I will muse on in later posts when I don't have an actual recipe. But today I have a recipe, which I will preface by saying is the BEST way to get a nutritious breakfast every day with hardly any effort at all. You make this on the weekend, and you can cut a slice for breakfast, nuke it and eat it with cream, or just have it cold in the car on the way to work. It's good either way.

Baked Oatmeal (It turns out like an oatmeal cake.)

1/2 cup oil or butter (I use coconut oil because it adds a nice flavour and it's so good for you)
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup oatmeal (Scottish Oatmeal or steelcut oats work best)
1/2 cup rye flour or whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates
2 tbsp brown sugar or sucanat (unrefined evaporated cane juice)

Combine all the ingredients more or less in the order they're listed except the brown sugar/sucanat. If you're using a solid oil like butter or coconut oil, it's best to have all your ingredients at room temperature, otherwise it's hard to mix. Pour into a greased cake tin, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge overnight. Next morning, sprinkle the brown sugar/sucanat over the top and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. It'll be crumbly when it first comes out, but if you let it cool and keep it in the fridge, it's easy to slice pieces.

The rye or wheat flour is technically optional. You could use another 1/2 cup of oats instead, but oatmeal needs another grain to soak with to break down the phytates in it so you can absorb more of the minerals. (I'll blather on about that in another post, don't worry.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home